Monday, March 4, 2013

Scrappy Messenger Bag

I received a Gypsy Girl charm pack for Christmas this last year and have been savoring the bright, happy colors for a while. It took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do with those delicious fabrics, but I finally settled on a messenger bag. I'm not a fan of giant diaper bags and as soon as my kids are old enough (i.e. they aren't constantly exploding diapers or requiring that I cart around the kitchen sink everywhere we go) I ditch the giant diaper bag and grab something smaller.

However, I now have two in diapers, and I really did need something bigger than my smaller purses but smaller than the giant diaper bag to tote around town. Thus, this bag was born!


I mostly followed a tutorial I found on Pinterest from No Time to Sew. Very easy to follow, and produced a decent sized bag. I added a back pocket:


I used the quilt-as-you-go method for that back pocket. I stumbled across the method on someone else's blog after they followed this tutorial at Oh, Fransson! I loved the idea and was itching to try it on something soon. My first attempt at a back pocket ended up getting a seam-ripper attack. I realized I wanted something scrappy-looking (like the front flap and front pocket), so I decided this was the perfect opportunity to try out quilt-as-you-go. LOVE it!

Front pocket was so cute and fun to put together! Easy-peasy, though the directions took some puzzling out. Don't know why, really, because once I got it the thing was ridiculously simple. Must have been late...

I deviated from the tutorial with this handle. I knew I wanted it scrappy, so I had to improvise.


So that's my new bag! It fits my wallet, iPod, phone, a few diapers and wipes, and a burp rag and one change of clothes for the baby very nicely. I've got four pockets on the inside, but forgot to take a picture. I'll take one of the pockets and a neatly packed bag later. :)

For now, I'm off! Got to show off my new accessory! :)



2 comments:

  1. love it! your going to get tons of compliments!! maybe even an order or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the tutorial! The scrappy flap is so great, and I love the back pocket!

    ReplyDelete