Friday, March 29, 2013

Breaking out

I took a break from the pillows and worked on my daughter's Easter dress this week. I'm waiting on some felt to come in from Taiwan anyway, so I figured I might as well!
 I modified a Sensibility pattern from their Regency Era line. I wanted the seams in the back to be reminiscent of the Regency dresses, but didn't want the Empire waist. So I just lengthened the pattern by two inches. I added a VERY full skirt, piping at the waistline, and now I'm debating whether or not I want to pull out my Serger and add a ruffle to the bottom hem... We'll see what I feel like doing tonight after kids are in bed.

Then I worked on the bonnet for a bonnet contest we're attending tomorrow. I took a normal, white hat that I pulled from the dollar bin at Target and turned it into this:

I looked at a ton of different poke bonnets on Pinterest, then found a tutorial at Tea in a Teacup that helped. I found some flowers at a thrift store and pulled them all apart to decorate the bonnet. The whole time I worked on this little hat all I could hear in my mind was Kitty and Lydia Bennet arguing over a bonnet. Made me giggle.

Then I put the whole outfit on my daughter to see how it looked.

I do believe she might be a contender in the "Prettiest Bonnet" category, but then I might just be incredibly biased!


  1. Ohhh seriously cute!!! What a lovely little model too!

    I just adore the dress you made - so very sweet!

  2. Unbelievably CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have not heard of a bonnet competition since I was a little girl.....will not give the # of years.
    I am sure that she will be a top contender.